Saturday, August 1, 2009

FRIDAY THOUGHTS ON A SATURDAY MORNING


I always have a penchant for telling stories about "last night" or "this morning". So, last night I went out to watch a couple of movies. I was able to see The Proposal and Public Enemies (in that order). So instead of having a laugh at the end of the night, I was haunted by the memory of John Dillinger.

So what do I have to say about these films? The Proposal is obviously not ground-breaking but definitely recommendable. Sandra Bullock's film was like an upgraded episode of Friends' Ross and Rachel that I was more than happy to relive. Again, Sandra is in her element and after watching her do several screwball flicks in the past, I still can't get enough of her. It's the type of film where you know you'll probably forget but still you end up laughing and enjoying it.

Public Enemies, on the other hand, had me at Johnny Depp's romanticized portrayal of the great 1930's bank robber John Dillinger and Michael Mann's incredible (and noticeable) film techniques. I don't even know where to begin. It's this mixed feelings I have when I see a film I like that is similar to what people say you feel in meeting "the one": you just know it. It is reminiscent to my being pleasantly surprised by great Hollywood flicks like The Dark Knight and Transformers. What I mean is that I don't usually go for these types of films but I end up appreciating them because they are just superbly done. Johnny Depp sometimes felt like just-Johnny Depp while portraying the equally charismatic character of Dillinger. But I am buying it. It's a 1920s James Bond meets Robinhood meets the the charming fugitive kind of c***. I read Dillinger's biography online and though there were some alterations in the film it was pretty much what Dillinger was all about. Technically, I loved how Mann used this sort of crisp like film where you can almost see all of the actors' pores on the big screen. That's how clear it was. The shoot outs were void of music which made it realistically brutal. And did I mention I love those big black trench coats, vintage shades and fedoras on set? I don't care if the real Dillinger wore them or not, they were a feast to my senses along with the jazzy 1920s music played during Dillinger's softer moments.

Two things I realized from all these: 1. I really like biographies and autobiographies that sometimes I end up neglecting the artist or author's work because I'm more pre-occupied by the real person's life behind all the greatness (or the failings). 2. this applies to films too.

No comments: